DON’T BECOME A STATISTIC
CHOKING STATISTICS IN AMERICA
• A leading cause of death in children
• 4,000 deaths yearly
• One child dies every 5 days from choking
• Leads to 100,000 visits to the ER yearly
• Over 100 million Americans have no defense against choking due to pregnancy, disability, obesity, or being alone
• More people die from choking than die in fires, drowning or accidental shootings
• A leading cause of accidental deaths in persons over the age of 65
TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE
• 0-4 minutes: Brain damage unlikely
• 4-6 minutes: Brain damage possible
• 6-10 minutes: Brain damage probable
• 10 minutes +: Probably brain death
• Average emergency response time is 7 to 12 minutes
• Of all US choking deaths in 2000, 41% caused by food, 59% by nonfood items (balloons, etc)
• Candy is associated with 19% ER visits for choking in the US – 65% due to hard candy and 35% gummy bears, chocolate, caramel, etc.
• Coins were responsible for 18% of ER visits for children age 1 to 4 years in the US
LIFEVAC IS SAFE
LifeVac is not invasive. It does not have any element that causes damage to the gums, teeth, palate or tongue so that the victim is not harmed when using it.
LifeVac works by creating a suction force to eliminate the obstruction of the airway. The negative pressure generated by this suction is 3 times greater than that generated by abdominal compression (Heimlich maneuver).